A sports massage is a type of Swedish massage that focuses on specific problem areas in the body (shoulders, knees, neck, back, hips, feet, arms, etc.). These may be any areas the patient has been experiencing pain, decreased motion or decreased function. Along with Swedish style techniques, the therapist may also incorporate trigger point work to break down muscles adhesions that inhibit proper function.
This type of massage is especially helpful for athletes who are looking to achieve maximum performance and physical conditioning while decreasing the chance of future injury.
Benefits of a Sports Massage
• Increase joint range of motion
• Increase flexibility
• Increase blood flow
• Increase elimination of exercise waste products (lactic acid)
• Decrease chance of injury
• Decrease muscle spasm
• Decrease muscle tension
• Decrease neurological excitability (nerves are more relaxed)
• Decrease recovery time between workouts